9.12.2011

A Few Updates

Hey ladies!

My last post I was super excited about my Blogger app lol...but I will admit that I haven't had time to blog. I'm working on my masters and unfortunately I'm playing the catch up game this week. But I decided to take a short break and give you guys some updates.

Update #1 :: I actually made a vlog (video blog) about my washing/co-washing process BUT it came out EXTREMELY shaky so I'm still deciding whether to post it or not (im leaning more to the not lol). I have to figure out a good place in my house to record the video and all of that first. I'm a perfectionist so this might take me awhile. But I promise I will be vlogging some time in the near future. As for now, I will just continue to do what I'm doing!

Update #2 :: I decided to actually make my own hair concoction. After I washed/co-washed my hair I would use my kinky curly knot today detangler/leave-in conditioner and then proceed to style my hair. But after watching the pH lesson from kimmaytube (click here) I realized that I'm not taking the extra step of making sure that my hair is brought back to a healthy pH after using my products. So this concoction basically does just that, preserve the pH levels of my hair as well as seal the hair so that it retains moisture.

My ingredients:
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar --this helps to preserve the pH level of my hair
  • 2 cups of water --this is to dilute the apple cider vinegar a bit
  • about a 1/2 to 1 cup of my kinky curly knot today
  • jojoba oil (i dont measure this, just put as much or as little as you feel)-- dissolves the sebum that clogs the pores of the hair follicles which promotes hair growth and healthier-looking hair
**This recipe will last me about 10-15 washes/co-washes. 

Here is a better explanation of the benefits of apple cidar vinegar
Vinegar Hair Rinse – Natural Hair Care Product

Hair is on the mildly acidic side of the pH scale and has an ideal pH of 4.5 to 5.5, which is close to that of an apple cider vinegar rinse (pH 2.9).

On the other hand, many of the hair care products we use, such as soap-based shampoos, bleaches, hair colors, and permanents are strongly alkaline.

Rinsing with apple cider vinegar will help balance the pH of your hair and remove the buildup that can result from the use of these styling products and inexpensive shampoos.

Rinsing will also close the numerous cuticle scales which cover and protect the surface of each hair shaft. This imparts a smoother surface which reflects more light and as a result leaves your hair shinier, smoother and easier to manage.

Hair Shaft Open Cuticles - rough Hair Shaft Closed Cuticle - smooth

Rough hair shaft with open cuticles compared to smooth hair shaft with closed cuticles.



Update #3 :: I'm getting my first trim since my decision to go natural on wednesday. My breakage has gotten better but I want it to be nonexistent and I know that this will be the key. I'll post pictures of my hair once I get the trim.

Well that's it for now ladies! I hope you try my concoction! Let me know how it goes!
 
References: 
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/natural-hair-care-product.html


 

No comments:

Post a Comment